Towards a new classification of the Cru Bourgeois ?
A few days before the official presentation of the 2012 Selection, Crus Bourgeois releases a communication about its wishes of Classification
Members of the Alliance des Crus Bourgeois du Médoc, at the General Meeting of September 16, 2014, approved by the vast majority, further work on their draft multiannual ranking.
Nearly 80% of the voters were in favor of the reintroduction of levels of merit and a multi-annual nature in the Crus Bourgeois du Médoc‘ process of quality, reviewable every 5 years.
According to Frederic de Luze, the ranking should start in 2016 and will be reviewable every 5 years with the main endpoint tasting as main criterion. This change responds to the market demand and will build on the fundamentals that made the success of the current approach to quality:
- Quality assurance for consumers, vintage after vintage
- Impartiality guaranteed by an independent agency
- Innovative Approach sitting on specifications approved by the government
- Open to all raw ability to produce in one of eight AOC Medoc: Médoc, Haut-Médoc, Saint-Estèphe, Pauillac, Saint-Julien, Moulis-en-Médoc, Listrac-Médoc, Margaux
- Bottles stamped “Cru Bourgeois” by a protection system.
Note that the idea to classify Crus Bourgeois with a basis on its quality is not a new idea but a returning to the origins. In fact from 1932 to 2007 different classifications existed: : Cru Bourgeois Exceptionnel, Cru Bourgeois Supérieur and Cru Bourgeois. However following judicial incidents the ranking was canceled in 2007.
News to follow ….